As we discussed in previous posts, an organization’s digital maturity is a significant determinant for many aspects of innovation. Technology choice is no different. In this post, we share how your organization’s digital maturity determines the technology choices your organization can implement as part of its digital transformation journey.

According to respondents of the 2018 TIBCO CXO Innovation Survey, 59.4 percent have already implemented foundational technologies, such as cloud, business intelligence and analytics, and application and data integration. The remaining 40.6 percent of respondents have implemented more advanced technologies such as IoT, artificial intelligence (AI) & machine learning (ML), open source, and blockchain. It’s worth noting that organizations need to build upon the basic technologies listed above in order to successfully expand to more advanced technologies, as cloud, business intelligence and analytics, and application and data integration are critical components to your progress.

This research also indicates that where you are in your journey will determine where you are in your disruption and innovation. Digital beginners and digital conservatives begin by implementing more foundational technologies while digital fashionistas and digerati (experts) are implementing more advanced technologies. Those later in their digital transformation journey have a wide range of options of what they can adopt. In fact, there is a 2:1 difference between experts and beginners.

2018 TIBCO Innovation Survey

When looking at the data, we can see that the AI & ML area is the most popular technology for experts to implement, while open source is the least. Experts are making these technologies a key component in their digital transformation. That being said, where you rank on the digital maturity scale will pinpoint where you can innovate and how much you can innovate. Beginners typically don’t reach for the “cool” technology tools; experts tend to do so after they master the fundamentals.

But what the research also concludes is that IoT is being widely adopted by the general population as their innovation tool of choice. If we segment the data by industry (in this case for healthcare), we find that IoT is the most adopted technology, no matter where organizations are on the digital maturity scale. Business intelligence and analytics come in as the second-most adopted technology. Again, this is independent of where companies in their digital transformation journey. Conversely, when we compare this to the construction industry, it is clear that digital beginners and digital conservatives are adopting more foundational technologies whereas digital fashionistas and digerati are adopting more advanced technologies.

Even if you are only a digital beginner or a digital conservative on the digital maturity scale, there is still potential for your organization to move to more advanced technologies. While you are currently implementing technologies, such as cloud and data analytics, keep an eye on adopting blockchain and IoT down the road. Innovation success is possible if you have the right technology foundation, and the people and culture working together to make it happen.